Clearance Requirements: TS/SCI and willing to take a Polygraph
A new, five-year contract award has created an opportunity for a Senior Systems Engineer – Red Hat to support a critical program located in Springfield, VA. The position is required to be onsite.
Benefits include 15 days PTO, 11 days Paid Government Holidays, a 401k with 6% matching and an inclusion in our employee profit sharing program.
The Senior Systems Engineer – Red Hat is a member of a team of diverse, multidisciplinary Information Technology (IT) engineers responsible for tackling unique and complex challenges to achieve objectives tasked to the Activity’s enterprise IT Systems Engineering and Architecture Services (SEAS) division in direct support of business and mission-focused needs. The Senior Systems Engineer primarily supports the System Engineering (SE) responsibilities of SEAS.
The Senior Systems Engineer will provide hands-on, technical knowledge, skills, abilities, standards and best practices to implement modern and Next Generation (NexGen) IT solutions with a heavy lean to Red Hat technologies including Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Satellite, and Ansible Tower.
SEAS System Engineers are tasked with a variety of projects and initiatives, some within their background and experience and others outside of that as stretch goals or challenges; technical aptitude and their willingness to accept new challenges, learn, and grow will be key to their success.
SEAS Systems Engineers are expected to always be learning and improving their knowledge, skills, and abilities as IT is an ever evolving and changing landscape.
The Senior Systems Engineer – Red Hat also provides consulting services and escalated tiered support to the Activity’s Enterprise IT O&M teams and provides mentorship and on the job training (OJT) to junior and/or lesser experienced personnel.
Infrequent travel may be required of the Engineering team to support the Activity’s IT enterprise objectives to include, but not be limited to site surveys and assessments; engineering discussions and exchanges; solution implementation, integration and testing, operational team assistance; and training and professional development. The ability of the Senior Systems Engineer to travel up to approximately 26 days per year is preferred but not required.
- Shall have 7 or more years of progressive hands-on experience employing systems engineering techniques, methodologies, processes, and practices to design, engineer, implement, test, secure, and deliver a variety of enterprise-grade IT solutions (system, applications, and/or services) across multi-platform (RHEL, *nix. etc.) information systems (LAN, MAN, WAN, etc.).
- Shall have 4 or more years of experience designing, deploying, and securing various OS versions of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) — i.e., 6, 7, and 8 - in both large and medium-sized environments. Strong interest in considerable experience accumulated with RHEL 7 and newer.
- Demonstrated, hands-on proficiency in the following, areas:
- System engineering experience implementing and maintaining solutions in classified processing environments which adhere to U.S. Government Information Assurance and security standards such as: Ille Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Security requirements Guides (SRGs) and Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs).
- Common vulnerability and exposures (CVE) management, remediation, and mitigation and efficient upgrade/patch management or RHEL platforms using tools such as: Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP), Tenable Nessus/Assured Compliance Assessment Solution (ACAS), and Tenable Security Center.
- Red Hat automation, orchestration, and management tools such as Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform/Tower, Red Hat Satellite, etc.
- Capturing, analyzing, and decomposing stakeholder and/or product requirements in order to generate design solutions that will be implemented, tested, and eventually transitioned to the operational environment Ihat acknowledge technical, compliance, schedule, and cost constraint.
- Troubleshooting techniques, methodologies, processes, and practices to quickly identify and assess an issue, develop the strategy to resolve the issue, implement the resolution, and restore the degraded entity to an operational state all while maintaining concern for the original configuration and the overall Information Security (INFOSEC) posture of the environment.
- Shall meet the minimum credential requirements for a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce (CSWF) position as defined.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university OR one of the following certifications:
- CompTIA Security +ce; or
- GIAC Security Essentials Certification (GSEC); or
- Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- *nix-based OSS such as KVM, Nutanix Acropolis, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), Ubuntu LTS, and VMware vSphere ESXi to support implementation, configuration, securing, and troubleshooting, vendor appliances, and *nix-based solutions.
- Red Hat OpenShift platform for Kubernetes container management, operations, and orchestration.
- Modern scripting languages such as Microsoft PowerShelI and/or Python for the purposes of automating and orchestrating routine and/or complex tasking in day-t0Nday operations, implementations, testing, validation, and verification.
- Implementing Red Hat Ansible to enable and support infrastructure as Code (IAC) and Configuration as Code (CAC) in a production enterprise environment through the use of the YAML Ain't a Markup Language (YAML) and Ansible Modules, Plugins, Playbooks, and workflows.
- Drafting and producing all common SE products throughout the SDLC such as requirements, system concepts, project plan, concept of operations (CONOPs), validation plans, system and subsystem requirements, verification plan, design documents (high-level, system, subsystem, etc.), deployment plans, O&M plans, and retirement plans.
- Providing mentorship and OJT to junior and/or lesser experienced team members.
- Enterprise networking aspects and concepts as they pertain 10 SE processes.
- Commercial cloud concepts, technologies, and approaches.
- Technical certifications in industry standard enterprise-level operating systems (OSS), applications, and technologies, such as Citrix, Cisco, Microsoft, NetApp, Nulanix, Red Hat, Splunk, and/or VMware.