Clearance Requirements: Active TS/SCI clearance and willing to take a Polygraph.
Job # 399
A new, five-year contract award has created the opportunity for a Senior Database Administrator to support our government customer located in Suitland, MD. This position is required to be onsite.
Benefits include 15 days PTO, 11 days Paid Government Holidays, a 401k with 6% matching and an inclusion in our employee profit sharing program.
The Senior Database Administrator (DBA) shall support the Information Technology (IT) team to provide high-performance, highly available, and secure Microsoft SQL Server database (DB) services in direct support of the activity’s business and mission needs. Specifically, the DBA shall oversee the implementation, configuration, hardening, availability, resiliency, protection, automation, administration, and monitoring of multiple Microsoft SQL Server DB environments.
The Senior DBA shall serve as the Microsoft SQL Server Subject Matter Expert (SME) within the organization and directly participate in the design, engineering, implementation, and modifications to the production database environments backed by Microsoft SQL Server. Post-implementation, the DBA shall also proactively monitor and assess the deployed platforms, ensuring the production platforms are operating efficiently, optimally, and properly configured, as well as ensuring they are secured within all vendor guidance, best practice, and required information assurance (IA) and security (INFOSEC) compliance and government requirements.
The Senior DBA shall provide technical guidance, mentorship, and training to less experienced DBAs.
The Senior DBA shall work with the activity’s IT Architecture and Engineering (A&E) team to explore, investigate, research, analyze, assess, implement, and transition new technologies to an operational state to modernize and improve upon existing Microsoft SQL Server solutions.
- Shall have 5 or more years of progressive experience with Microsoft SQL Server capturing stakeholder and business requirements, designing, engineering, implementing, securing, and operating and maintaining vendor currently supported enterprise-level Microsoft SQL Server DB solutions (SQL Server 2012 and newer) across an IT multi-platform (Microsoft, *nix, etc.) enterprise information systems (LAN, MAN, WAN, etc.).
- Shall have Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA): SQL 2016 DB Administration certification. Strong understanding of Microsoft SQL Server 2016 architectures, implementation, and configurations within enterprise production environments required.
- Shall have 5 or more years of experience operating and maintaining solutions in secure processing environments which must adhere to U.S. Government Information Assurance and Security standards such as the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIGs).
- Demonstrated experience implementing, maintaining, testing, and validating Microsoft SQL Server High Availability (HA) technologies and concepts, such as Basic and Always-on Availability Groups (BAG/AAGs), to maximize the availability, resiliency, reliability, and fault tolerance of product DB environments.
- Demonstrated experience designing, implementing, maintaining, testing, and validating Microsoft SQL Server Disaster Recovery (DR) solutions, built on technologies and concepts such as log shipping and stretched AAGs, to ensure both local and off-site recovery capabilities within established Recovery Time and Point Objectives (RTO/RPOs).
- Demonstrated experience leveraging vendor provided best practices, systems, applications, and services to regularly patch and upgrade deployed Microsoft SQL Server implementations to maintain compliance and configuration requirements, minimizing, and eliminating, if possible, production and end-user impact and/or downtime.
- Demonstrated experience authoring, testing, troubleshooting, and implementing scripted technologies, such as Microsoft PowerShell, PowerShell on Linux, Bash, T/SQL, etc., to automate and orchestrate routine, as well as complex DBA duties and responsibilities, with a focus on maximizing efficiency, consistency, and minimizing the subsequent human error factor of related tasks.
- Shall meet the minimum credential requirements for a Cyber IT/Cybersecurity Workforce (CSWF) position as defined in Section 6, Table 3.
- Technical certifications in additional enterprise-level DB and OS vendor technologies, such as Microsoft, Oracle, and/or VMware are also a plus.
- Strongly desired to be Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE): Data Management and Analytics.
- Strong understanding of common Microsoft SQL Server DBA activities to include DB health checks, Dynamic Management Views (DMVs), index optimization, performance tuning, query optimization, maintenance plans, link servers, etc. A thorough understanding of DMV views and how to utilize them to improve performance and monitoring is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience performing Microsoft SQL Server performance tuning with specific experience with analyzing query plans, tuning stored procedures, troubleshooting deadlocks, blocks, and long running queries, as well as isolating and resolving Input/Output (I/O) and CPU bottlenecks.
- Demonstrated experience implementing, maintaining, testing, and validating Microsoft SQL Server Data-at-Rest Encryption (DARE) and Data-in-Flight Encryption (DIFE) technologies and concepts in line with vendor guidance, best practice, and DISA STIG, and IA/lNFOSEC requirements are a plus.
- Demonstrated experience migrating older and legacy Microsoft SQL Server platforms, such as SQL Server 2008 and 2008 R2 to SQL Server 2016 is a plus.
- Familiarity and willingness to work with other vendor DB platforms, such as MariaDB, MongoDB, MySQL, NoSQL, and Oracle, is a strong plus.
- Familiarity with using third-party vendor backup solutions together with Microsoft SQL Server protection planning is a plus.